On Humanity
Originally, I had a
different topic in mind for today’s post. Unfortunately, life happened and we
learned the other day that our old lady friend next door passed away.
Our neighbour was,
aside from the landlord, one of the first people I met when I moved to
Mississauga. At the time of her passing, she was 87 years old. She was also
Greek, spoke little English and was suffering from dementia. Our conversations
made very little sense and I did not know her actual name until two days ago.
That being said, I still called her a friend. Every day I would see her and we
would both smile and wave at each other – usually saying a few words.
(Although, frequently my words would be in English and she would respond with
something in Greek.) Sometimes she would tell me my boyfriend is cute – and,
she isn’t wrong. Most of the time she would say how it was hot or cold.
However, she was always, always friendly and the street seems somehow empty
without her.
I am calling this post
“On Humanity” because I think that the world could learn a lot from her. Since
learning of her passing, I have spoken with our neighbour’s daughter and
learned more about her life. She was an ambassador’s wife and a survivor under the
German occupation. She and her husband were continuously helping those in need,
including feeding the less fortunate and paying for flights for people so they
could fly home to Greece if they would otherwise be unable to afford it. I never
knew this about her but I knew her kindness through her big smiles and heavy
waving! She teaches everyone that living a “good” life does not require a lot.
Just engage in and take pleasure in the simple things.
There is more to life
than having a lot of money in your bank account or a lot of things on your
shelves. Be nice to others and you will make a difference in the world… and
you, in turn, will be happier too.
Comments
Post a Comment